Wick High Senior Football Team – Superb Win v Alness

Our rich vein of sporting success continued recently with our Boys Senior Football Team recording a superb vistory over Alness Academy in the North of Scotland Cup. A hard-fought 3-0 victory was secured with goals from Sam Barclay, Grant Innes and Steven Hughes to send our lads through to the next round where they have been drawn at home to Kingussie. One of the goal scorers, Grant Innes, very kindly wrote a match report which can be seen below. Well done to all the lads involved and their coach Mr Ross.


Goal scorers (from L-R) Sam Barclay, Grant Innes and Steven Hughes

It was a cold, wet and windy afternoon at the Wick High all weather pitch. Wick High School’s opponents were Alness Academy. Alness were undoubtedly the favourites as Wick were struggling for players and ended up playing the match with no subs.

Despite the thin squad Wick started well but struggled to create chances playing into the oncoming gale. Approximately 30 minutes into the game Sam Barclay scored a spectacular goal from nothing as he rifled in a 30 yard half volley. Straight from the following kick off Wick were under pressure as a passage of quick passing from the Alness attackers split the Wick defence leaving a 1v1 against goalkeeper Archie Budge. It was a well struck shot but Budge got a strong hand to the ball and took the sting off the shot for Connor Pattinson to clear off the line. After another wave of Alness attack the ball was deflected for a corner and from the resulting set piece the ball was floated in causing confusion within the Wick ranks. A powerful header from an Alness defender beat goalkeeper Budge but the heroic Owen Manson was in the right place at the right time to head the ball clear off the line to keep Wick in the lead and to bring a close to an epic first half.

The second half started with the strong gale on the backs of the Wick players but they didn’t rest on their laurels as they continuously peppered the Alness goal with shots from all angles, pushing hard for a second goal. Even though the majority of the play was in the Alness half the second goal came from a free kick deep inside the Wick half when Grant Innes saw the Alness goalkeeper too far off his line and went for goal. As the ball sailed through the air it bounced within the 18 yard box and over the keepers head. Jubilation amongst the Wick players and management ensued. Wick were well on top now and pushed hard for a third which was delivered after the tireless Andrew Sutherland flicked on a throw in and Steven Hughes ran on to it and slotted the ball underneath the Alness keeper for a well deserved third. Alness huffed and puffed for a consolation but Budge and the Wick defence held firm for a clean sheet and a well deserved place in the next round where they will host Kingussie.

The Starting XI for Wick was as follows;

GK- Archie Budge

RB-Bruce Taylor

CB-Connor Pattinson

CB-Grant Innes

LB-Owen Manson

LM-Lewis Shepherd

CM-Mark Macadie

CM-Micheal Steven

RM-Steven Hughes

CF-Sam Barclay

ST-Andrew Sutherland

Manager-Mr Ross

The whole team played superbly executing Mr Ross’s tactics to the letter but there were outstanding performances from Andrew Sutherland and Mark Macadie in particular.