Wick High Under 15s Record Extra Time Victory Over Kirkwall Grammar

The Under 15 Football team and coach, Greg Mackay (S6), travelled across the Pentland Firth on Wednesday 3rd October to take on their Orcadian counterparts at KGS astro. This seemed like a tough tie on paper and so it proved on the day as the team twice recovered from a deficit to take the tie to extra-time, where they eventually secured a well-earned victory.

The Wick team started the game in fine form, passing the ball around well and having the lion’s share of possession. Much of the play was coming through winger Ross Steven, who was set free down the right on numerous occasions, but no-one was able to apply the finishing touch to some well-worked Wick moves.  Kirkwall gradually became more of a threat as the first half progressed and they were rewarded with the opening goal 10 minutes before half-time – a well taken finish at the back post after a corner had been only partly cleared. The Wick defence appealed for offside but their view was not shared by the referee. Wick rallied quickly and pressed for an equaliser but went in at the break with a 1-0 deficit.

Wick started the second half just as they had the first and this time made their possession pay as Ross Steven pounced on a loose ball to finish from close range for 1-1. With the tie delicately poised, both teams seemed a little nervous and the game became rather scrappy. This seemed to suit the more physical Kirkwall side and they sneaked ahead again with around 20 minutes to go. As Wick pressed for another equaliser, the back door was left ajar and Kirkwall again profited with a breakaway goal for 3-1.

With 10 minutes left the tie seemed lost, but an inspired tactical switch – pushing defender Joe Anderson up into an advanced role – immediately paid off as he squared for Liam Martin, whose powerful low shot was too much for the Kirkwall goalkeeper to stop. Moments later Wick were level as Anderson powered into the box and struck low across  the ‘keeper and take the tie into extra-time. Wick showed superior fitness in the extra 20 minutes and got their noses in front for the first time as Anderson again finished – this time from close range following a corner. Wick saw out the remainder of the game comfortably with Conor Farquhar playing a pivotal role in retaining possession and stopping any Kirkwall attacks at source. The boys will now have a home tie vs Kingussie in round 2.

A special thanks to Mrs Mackay for giving up her day to drive the bus.